AFTrack is the display for your GPS and activates the world of hiking, biking, sailing, geocaching or more for your phone. The program handles tracking with smart and fixed logging features. It sends reports online or via SMS. It receives SMS position messages and show it as a waypoint. It exports tracks and waypoints. Uses maps online and offline and more.
- map view with info docks - track, profile, route,
way point. gps info
The map view can contain some additional data in a dock.
If the selected map doesn't deliver tile for the current area you can define a fall back map server.
The definition to the online maps are changing some times. Here comes the last version maps.xml.
Offline maps have to be made first. Use tools like the MobileAtlasCreator to get some maps for your area. Useful are around 5000 tiles in a file. The tiles are packed in a OSZ file (just a zip file with the downloads and a calibration info file). The MobileAtlasCreator generates this format since version 1.8a7. Place the files on your favorite directory and load it into AFTrack at the map list.
If the tiles are written to a SQLite database, larger tile numbers are possible - there are no tests to the limit, only statements up to 2 GB from the net ???. Use this formats mbtiles (Mobac: MBTiles SQLite) or sqlitedb (Mobac: Big Planet Tracks SQLite, OSMAND SQLite or RMaps SQLite)
Instructions for generating offline maps with MobileAtlasCreator and Maperitive
Offline maps without zoom level can imported from jpg, bmp or png format. This can combinated with calibration files in map, gmi, kml, kal or jpr format. The name of calibration and bitmap file has to be the same. Note: A bitmap is stored completely in memory. So it depends on the hardware, how big can the map (size = X x Y x 4 bytes).
Maps with tfw calibration are stored as UTM coordinates without zone information - most times. So please place the map window near to the map before you import it.
See OSM-wiki for more online references.
Offline vector maps from mapsforge project.
This can be used with the original maps on the mapsforge download or
the maps from openandromaps but to get the full features (coast line, contour lines) of this maps you will need to load the included theme file. Just copy one of the xml layouts to the phone and select it in map settings. When the xml layout contains local referenced pattern this is also loaded (see as sample the Elevate - Mounten Hide Theme - just copy xml and folder to phone). You also may use the Elevate 3 version with new features for the maps styling.
Use the map selector on top for a quick switch between the available maps on your position (yellow = current map, dark grey = online map). When online maps are allowed, then the first selector switches to the online map.
Auto map mode
If the 'auto map' mode is selected in the map settings, the program will select the next map for the current area from the list. When there are some more then one available it's always the first.
To see exact the selected offline map, just deselect 'auto map'.
Note: 'auto map' always selects the best scaling map. So if you use different map systems, it will be better to switch off the 'auto map' function. E.g. you hold a set of BSB sea maps (which have no zooming) and a mapsforge map (zooms from level 2 to 22 ) in the same area. So it could be good idea to hold both in different folders, drop the map list when you want to use a special map system and rescan the folder for it.
For BSB nautical charts 'auto map' means, if off selected, the map is shown inclusive the border and nautical informations. Otherwise the map is clipped by the polyline and the next larger map is shown as background.
Overlays are displayed on top of the current map. There are four samples for online overlays (only visible where data is available). Define others in the conf file 'overlay.xml'.
For offline overlays use the mbtiles database format and the type 'overlay'. How to generate this please see here.
Offline overlays are loaded as the other maps. They are marked with a (o) behind the name. They are found behind the overlay button on the main map view.
The host definition of the overlay need a refresh some times. Here the last version overlays.xml.
The transparency for overlays is adjustable.
When using mapsforge latest layouts you also find here a layout entry to define your favorite layout elements.
When depth values are available, they are stored to the gpx export.
It is also possible to collect a track from the incoming short messages, this can work as single or multi tracking.
Colors for multi tracking are placed in the folder aftrack/conf (file trackcolors.txt).
It is a list of hex numbers. See e.g. HTML Color Codes
Each track point can be send as short message or HTTP message immediately after generation.
RoutingRoutes are useful to show it on the map or let you guide to your targets. It can't be like street routing, it only works with one line.
Corridor routing helps you to stay inside routing area and warns you when you outside. Define the routing alarm distance to get the size.
Design a new route or area see video.
AreasImport an area in the KML format. It can be displayed in different colors.
sample areas CTR in Germany
The transparency for areas is adjustable.
Way PointsWay points are organized in groups. So define your special interest group and add some points to it. Use the import of GPS or KML formated files or add point from your gps signal.
It is possible to set an anchor alarm to a way point when you receive short messages for it.
More waypoint icons can be placed in the AFTrack folder sdcard/data/aftrack/icons
Format must be PNG. The icon names are synchrone to the GPX "sym" or "groundspeak:type" tag.
E.g. Geocache 60x60 or Geocache 80x80
GPSBy default the location settings of the system are used. When tracks are recorded, it is recommended to switch off the network location.
There are some modes for receiving gps data:
- the internal gps
- the internal gps with NMEA data (belongs to the hardware), position is extract driect
- an external bluetooth gps device
- USB GPS on devices with usb host mode
- an online gps (gps daemon) with NMEA output (see catb.org/gpsd)
- a file with NMEA data
1. with new provider
Install an extra Bluetooth gps provider from the store.
Start with a pairing of the phone and the gps in the bluetooth settings.
Start the new provider app and select the pairing parameters. Then the connection can start.
AFTrack will use this positions now.
2. with AFTrack
Pair the hardware before.
Select the bluetooth option in the gps settings and then a hardware from the device list.
Used NMEA sentences - some of them are only available when AFTrack is connected over WiFi or Bluetooth with a NMEA stream:
$--RMC - recommended minimum data for gps
$--GGA - Fix information
$--GNS - Fix data
$--GSA - Overall Satellite data
$--GSV - Detailed Satellite data
$--GLL - Lat/Lon data
$--DBK - Depth Below Keel
$--DBS - Depth Below Surface
$--DBT - Depth below transducer
$--DPT - Depth of water (Meter and offset)
$--MWS - Wind & Sea State (wind only)
$--MWV - Wind Speed and Angle (only true wind)
$--VWT - True Wind Speed and Angle
-AIVDM - AIS position and info
For users with gpsd interest please see this projects:
Build your own gpsd on Raspberry Pi
Or ready to use hardware from vYacht
Use AFTrack as a GPSD and make your position available to a PC or tablet without gps.
For testing connect to AFTrack with a telnet program and after receive the initial message send a command:
SMS ReportingShort message reporting can be done manually or parallel to a track. This needs some settings first.
Incoming messages are checked for gps sentences and and processed if found>.
Since Android KitKat AFTrack can't delete an incoming sms. So you could set it to a sms provider.
This program also receive SMS reports (select GGA mode) from other AFTrack users and store the incoming values as a waypoint. For the name of the waypoint the phone book entry is used - if not already there. The GPS tracker TK102, TK102-2, TK102 clones, DNT, ELRO, GEODOG or SmartcomGps are possible to receive.
For special functions exists a template to individualize the sending text (template sms.txt is found in AFTrack directory conf). It contains the all available shortcuts to fill into the message (latitude, longitude, altitude, date, time, speed, direction and the adddres for the position - if internet connected).
If you miss to start a track on incoming position reports then you can move the history of sms to a track - you will find this on the context menu of the way point entry.
The receive function can be used as an anchor alarm. Leave a gps tracker (or a second AFTrack version) on board and set an anchor alarm for its way point.
Basic requirements for the operation of GEODOG with AFTrackGEODOG collar with software version >= G1CG20W
The position reports are recognized in "TrackSMS" mode . To activate the this modus send a short message with the following content to the collar
Tracksmson (to switch on)
Tracksmsoff (to switch off)
The collar responds with a ready message.
After the command is confirmed, the mode is activated by a 3 second press on the home button. PLEASE NOTE: GPS and the lamp Home button flashing. It is made a new GPS fix now. Once the fix has been made successfully both lamps shown permanently.
From now the collar sends positions for the last 30 seconds in a 5 block format.
The transmission mode is switched off with a short press on the home button. WARNING: if the collar runs longer than 30 seconds the display goes to "sleep mode". Before switching off do a short push on the 'on / off' button.
If no network connection is available, the tracking data are buffered and sent out if this is possible.
Online ReportingOnline reporting means sending your position to a web site. This can be done in a single step or automatic with the log. There is a default setting for http://www.whererya.com. It can be done automaticly with the logging function or manually from the menu.
If no network connection is available, the tracking data are buffered and sent out if this is possible.
It's also possible to share your position using other apps.
- GPS Mode - select the input device
- Selection of a bluetooth device (only visible when BT is enabled)
- Option to disable bluetooth after app closing
- GpsD address and port
- Share position (replace internal gps provider)
- Work as GPS daemon (use json or nmea data)
- Log Mode - handles the different modes for logging
- Log Mode SMS - handle incoming sms for tracking
- Log Seconds - frequency for logging only used at log on second (values from 2 to 9999 seconds (30 minutes = 1800)
- GPS update settings for seconds and distance
- Automatic log at program start
- Automatic export on track end
- Altitude - select meter or feet
- Altitude correction - the altitude correction is used or not
- Altitude correction value for a manual altitude correction. When defined as 0 then the geo id is used,
- Special: when a barometer sensor is found then here are some more values:
- Use pressure for altitude
- Start altitude for pressure
- Get pressure from the station for correction (needs net connection)
- Depth - select meter, feet or fathom to display
- Define an offset for the depth
- Position format as decimal degree, degree with minutes, degree with minutes and seconds or UTM format
- Speed - select knots, miles, kilometers per hour, meter per minute or miles per minute
- Distance format as nautical mile, mile or kilometer
- Smart angle, the angle for smart logging
- Use filter for altitude to get smoother values
- Speed pause - define the minimal speed
- Use the compass when available
- Use gps direction or calulate the values
- show a position history - for orientation on screen
- Write a NMEA log file
- Define a filter to select NMEA data. e.g. "$GPRMC $GPDPT" writes only these sentences to log file
- Set the distance for the anchorage alarm
DisplayWay point settings
- How to display way points on screen
- Define the way point icon position
- Define the minimal zoom level to diplay the way points
- Show a small line to the way point when in goto mode
- Track color or 'up/down hill' color
- show only points
- Track line size
- Track restart, generate a new track when x minutes left and run track is selected (0 = no new track)
- Route color or 'up/down hill' color
- show route direction
- Route line size
- import routes without using the date
- Label size
- Show view direction on the map
- Center tracks/routes on maps or center the start point
- Start with last map view or last position
- Position pointer format
- Radius for virtual map center (km)
- Show wind info for the map center
- Unit for the wind speed
- Auto dock, display the dock for the 'view on map' function
- change the dock button (map, track, route, way point or area list)
- Set light alway on
- Lock the screen tabbing
- Set display orientation (automatic is not working correct on all devices)
- Save the settings
- Restore the settings from file
- Scan the folder
- Scan at start (could slow down the app start)
- Clear the cache for the online map store
- Automatic selection of a map for the current area. Starts with the offline maps
- Define the cache directory
- Set the cache directory
- Use a online map as fallback map when selected online map is not available in the current area
- Stop the use of a net connection - uses only the cached values
- Set the position of the zoom buttons to the left side
- Load a new layout for the mapsforge maps (just place the layout xml and the icon folder where you like)
- Define the text size on mapsforge maps
These settings are for getting way point postitions from a server.
Before start a GpsGate connection fill the settings for the server.
- use AIS (NMEA format from local server/receiver)
- AIS server and port
Different profiles can be created.
A profile can be loaded from a settings file
Example of setting files
This helps you to send positions to a server.
Fill in all the values you need to connect a server.
This can be done in user profiles. So it's easy to switch to other server settings.
Sample settings for a GpsGate server
User Attribute: username
Use IMEI: off
Passwort Attribute: pw
Latitude Attribute: latitude
Longitude Attribuet: longitude
Altitude Attribute: altitude
Speed Attribute: speed
Direction Attribute: heading
Time Attribute: time
Time Format: HHmmss
Short MessageStorage settings
- read a missed sms from inbox
- SMS storage - predefined text to send
- Show commands in list
- Automatic send with log
- Select a string to send
- Define the receiving number
- Number to send
- Center on sms position
- Play sound on sms income
IGCThe values to fill the IGC log
- Glider type
- Glider id
- Competition class
Known ProblemsShort Message applicaions can interfere with the reception of SMS if they occupy the inbox.
Reported are the apps 'GO SMS Pro' and 'Pansi SMS'
and the custom ROM 'MIUI'.
incoming SMS not removed after use (since Android 4.4)
AFTrack Lite VersionThe lite version differences
- no automatic send via http
- no automatic send via short message
- no template sending via short message
- loads only three offline maps
- has a start screen
- has inside advertising
- limited export
- no multi track colors
Minimum Android version: 2.1, runnable on version: 4.0 or higher
Android Market and/or Google account: -
Third-party libraries: -
Rooted device: -
Location coarse location, fine location, mock location
Access network state, wifi state
Short message read, write, edit, send
Read contact data for incoming short message
Modify external storage
Read system log files